Polymer AdditivesKey technologies for synthetic resin and synthetic rubbers during polymerization and usage.
What are Polymer Additives?
There are countless options when it comes to additives and each one offers a specific improvement to the polymer’s functionality or stability. Selecting the right additives for your polymer may seem like a daunting task – this is why it is crucial to choose a partner, like Sumitomo Chemical Advanced Technologies, that has extensive expertise in various additives and resins as well as experience with state-of-the-art compounding and blending processes. Our Company will guide you through the selection process to ensure the right additives are chosen for your specific application.
Below are common categories of polymer additives. Even within a specific category, such as flame retardants, there are numerous additive options available; the additive that is best for a given plastic depends heavily on the base polymer (to ensure compatibility) and the application of the final product.
- Anti-aging stabilizers
- Blowing agents
- Flame retardants
- Nucleating agents
- Plasticizers are added to improve rheology as well as elasticity.
- Anti-oxidants, stabilizers, or anti-ozonants, are added to combat the deterioration of the plastic and to significantly extend the life span of the final product.
- There are many different blowing agents available from salts to complex nitrogen-releasing chemicals.
- Halogens such as bromines as well as phosphorus and nitrogen chemistries are common flame retardants.
- Nucleating agents additives improve mechanical properties and transparency.
- Processing additives include lubricants, and more specifically, fatty acids, hydrocarbon waxes, and some types of polyethylene.
For information regarding Sumitomo Chemical’s Super Engineering Plastics please contact anyone below for all products and applications:
Ready for a solution to your technology needs?
We’re here to provide the highest quality products in a timely manner to suit your business’ technological needs.